Kayaking in Stockholm
Kayaking in Stockholm Archipelago
Duration: ± 8 hours
Difficulty level: medium / adventurous
When: May – September. Kayaking Stockholm Archipelago has a scheduled department at 09:00 on Monday and Friday. Also bookable on other days on request. Check the calendar to see when trips run and contact us if the schedule doesn’t fit you!
For whom: For those interested in an active holiday, Stockholm’s archipelago, scenery, unique environments, sports, activities, exploration, adventure or the outdoors.
Kayaking Stockholm in a nutshell
Kayaking in Stockholm; nature from a different angle! Leave the city behind you while you explore the archipelago and the Baltic Sea by kayak! Paddle into a far stretched world that exists of 30.000 islands. During this adventure you will experience beautiful scenery firsthand in one of Europe’s most unique environment, and will have a blast trying a new activity with friends as well!
For more pictures and tour reports check out our FaceBook page!
What to see?
Environment: Islands, islands and islands. 30.000 of them. From big forest covered islands to nothing but bare granite rock that make this area the unique place that it is.
Wildlife: White tailed eagles are regularly spotted! This area is also very rich in other bird life. Wild swans, geese, eider, loons, arctic tern and Sweden’s most hated bird, the impressive great cormorant, are among regularly seen birds. Seals can also be spotted.
Kayak tour itinerary
- Rendez vous at the meeting point
- A short drive to the coast where we will embark
- Receive equipment
- Introduction to the kayak and the technique
- Trying out kayaking
- Embarking on the tour
- Island lunch
- Paddling back to start
- Clean and put back the kayaks
- Drop off at the meeting point
Included in the tour
- Pickup and drop off from central Stockholm
- A guided kayaking excursion
- Swedish fika (coffee with pastries)
- Equipment (buoyancy vest, paddle, spray skirt)
- Small group, average 3-4 travelers per guide
- Drybags to keep your items safe and dry
- Kayak course and introduction
- A guide
What to bring on this excursion
Clothing during kayaking: you want to have clothing that dries up quickly, so avoid cotton if possible! polyesters and synthetics (often seen in sport specific clothing) will do the job just fine.
- Base layer (running shirt i.e.)
- Sweater /jacket for windy days
- Rain coat / shell layer for rainy days
- Quick drying shorts (or running tights)
- Quick drying shoes (running sneakers), sandals, flip-flops or specific water shoes
- Bathing clothing underneath
- If you’re planning on your using phone, a little plastic bag or something likewise is a must!
- An extra set of clothing in the unlikely case you might turn over
Other important information
- This tour involves physical motion and being in healthy shape is therefore required.
- No prior kayaking experience is required.
- Not suitable for neither children below 12 when sharing a double with an adult supervisor or below 16 using a single kayak on a scheduled departure. During a private booking there is no age limit.
Kayaking in Stockholm detailed program
This is an example tour. Your guide customizes the day according to the weather, current and skill of the group.
Your guide for the day will meet you at the meeting point. After a short explanation about the day’s program we head for the coast where you’ll receive all equipment and also start paddling. After an on-land introduction to safety and technique you get to try for yourself in the water. When everybody feels confident we paddle out into the archipelago and it’s stunning surroundings. In this area there are birds everywhere you look and this is also the best place to spot sea eagles. We might paddle past a fortress, or even past the ‘ghost islands’, and you’ll find out how a single bird species has been able to extinct entire islands. We will find our own private island for the day’s lunch and enjoy the sun and the scenery. After the break We continue paddling and float through many small islands. A beautiful area to paddle through! Finishing up the tour we arrive to the starting point, put away the kayaks and head back into town.
This tour usually runs every Monday and Friday from May up until September, and is also is bookable on request any day during this period if Wednesday doesn’t fit you! Custom bookings on other days are also shown in the calendar. Note that student and youth discounts are only valid with student and ID cards, and that the student discount does not count for PHD students!
Restaurant Organic Green (the Northern marker), Rehnsgatan 24, 103 92 Stockholm.
Private: With a private tour you will get picked up from your accommodation.
Other tours in Stockholm
Want to see the archipelago but in a less active way? Try out Sailing! More interested in on-land nature? Check out the Off Trail Hike. For wildlife watching check out the Wildlife Safari. If you’re into multiple-day trips we’ve got you covered as well. Check out out 3-day Kayaking Trip, the overnight 3-day High Coast Hike or our one night Nature Camping Stockholm tour.
Scheduled tours and tours on request:
Adult: 1550 SEK
*Student: 1150 SEK
*Child: 950 SEK
Custom tour: Same p.p. price, but minimum amount of guests is 4.
Weekend bookings: will add 10% to the price.
*Note that student and youth discounts are only valid with student and ID cards, and that the student discount does not count for PHD students!
Traveling with us
✓ Traveler’s satisfaction guarantee! Not satisfied? We refund!
✓ Happy travelers from over 50 countries
✓ Swedish EcoTourism Association standards
✓ Small scale and personal off-the-beaten track adventures
✓ Climate smart and responsible travel (read more)
✓ Collect memories, not things!
✓ Satisfied customers with TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence
✓ Adventures made easy, just a click away!