Canoeing 2-3 days
Canoeing Stockholm, the rivers of Sweden, 2 / 3 days
Swedish people have a good word to describe this excursion: “lagom” which means “not too much, not too little”. We designed this trip as the perfect mix between enjoying the moment and paddling… Forget about the city buzz and join us on a peaceful paddling excursion, only a 45 minutes drive away from central Stockholm. Canoeing in Stockholm region is the ideal family adventure. The kids (and parents) love camping in the wild, grilling hot dogs over open fire, singing songs echoing between the river banks. You get the picture.
- Experience one of Sweden’s most famous canoeing trails
- See boreal forest stretching out far beyond the horizon from a view tower
- Fish for trout during magical sunsets while floating in your canoe
- Enjoy campfire dinners
- Pick blueberries, lingonberries and mushrooms right from the forest
- Go beaver spotting in the evening
- Spend the night in a tent in unspoiled nature
- See birds like woodpeckers and loons in their natural habitat
- Pickup and drop off in central Stockholm, only we do this!
- Take a swim in unpolluted rivers
- Small, personal groups, knowledgeable guide
For more pictures and tour reports check out our FaceBook page!
Canoe Stockholm: what to see?
Environment: We’ll paddle canoe past a couple of wide lakes and narrow canyon-like rivers, always surrounded by deep taiga forest. A few traditional red houses are build on the river banks which remind us that we are traveling through Sweden. We won’t only stay at water level but we’ll hike our way to a viewpoint tower which culminates above treetop level. This area also has interesting viking history and physical evidence of their presence!
Wildlife: Black throated divers are regularly spotted on the water! Ospreys are also abundance in the area. Wild mammals such as moose and roe dears can be spotted from the water.
Canoeing from Stockholm itinerary
- Pickup at meeting point and drive to the canoes
- Packing and introduction
- Day 1: we paddle on lakes
- Rest periods, easy hike up to viewpoint and enjoy lunch and snacks
- Set up camp and build campfire for dinner
- Evening activities such as bathing in the river, fishing, cooking, sunsets…
- Day 2: berry picking, breakfast, pack the camp
- Paddling to further lakes and rivers
- Lunch and resting break
- Paddle back to the base or optional second night:
- Optional, day 3: an extra day is recommended to really immerse yourself into nature
- Optional, day 3: paddling out further we experience more variety in the landscapes and rivers
- We drop you off in Stockholm, safe and sound
This is an example tour. Your guide customizes the day according to the weather and skill of the group.
As you’ve understood from looking at the pictures and reading the highlights, during those 2 or 3 days, you’ll experience a relaxed canoeing trip with many mini-adventures such as fishing, building and lighting an open fire…
The first morning we will be busy packing our gears and food in dry bags before loading everything in the canoes. When it’s all packed, we’ll paddle gently alongside the shore of the lake. Canoes are not made to go fast but are very stable and comfy which makes this adventure very child-friendly. After a few hours of paddling on blue-green water we’ll stop and unpack our canoes. Together we’ll pitch the tents and build the fire at a nice wild campsite. The area isn’t populated so no worries of being disturbed. When only the tree tops are lit by the setting sun, we’ll head out for a beaver safari or a fishing session. Pikes and perches are fairly easy to catch from the shore. After a good night sleep in tents, we’ll start the second day with a nice outdoor breakfast including wild blueberries that we just picked in the undergrowth. For the bravest, a dip in the river will be appreciated. We’ll have time for more side adventures such as hiking an easy path to a viewpoint tower from which you can observe the endless forest, explore more lakes from the canoe…The third day is unfortunately time to head back to town with the lungs and mind filled with fresh air.
Included in the tour
- Pickup and drop off in central Stockholm
- Short canoeing course and introduction
- 2 or 3 days of paddling canoes with dedicated guide
- Light but comfy camping gears (double tents)
- All the meals plus snacks
- Fishing gears and license
- Canoes + all equipment + dry bags to keep private things dry
We meet in South central Stockholm to minimize time spent in traffic.
Private: With a private tour you will get picked up from your accommodation.
Other important information
- This tour involves physical motion and being in healthy shape is therefore required.
- No prior canoeing experience is required.
- Suitable for young children, age limit 8 years old for scheduled departures, private bookings have no age limit.
Our kayaking in Stockholm archipelago tour has student- and youth discounts. These only apply with:
Student: valid student- and ID cards. Does not apply for PHD students. Max age 25.
Child: valid ID card. Max age 15.
Doesn’t our schedule suit you? Send us a message and we’ll see what we can do!
What to bring on this excursion
Clothing during canoeing: you want to have clothing that dries up quickly, so avoid cotton if possible! polyesters and synthetics (often seen in sport specific clothing) will do the job just fine.
- Sporty/outdoor clothes plus a spare set of clothing
- Bathing gears
- Rain poncho is very adapted to canoeing
- Warm sweater even if sunny weather
- Quick drying shoes (running sneakers), sandals, flip-flops or specific water shoes
- If you’re planning on your using phone, a waterproof phone case (alternatively a plastic bag) is a must!
- Sunglasses, hat, sunscreen
- A bottle of wine or beer to enjoy during dinner
Other tours in Stockholm
Want to see the archipelago but in a less active way? Try out Sailing! More interested in on-land nature? Check out the Off Trail Hike. For wildlife watching check out the Wildlife Safari. If you’re into multiple-day trips we’ve got you covered as well. Check out out 3-day Kayaking Trip, the overnight 3-day High Coast Hike or our one night Nature Camping Stockholm tour.
Traveling with us
✓ Traveler’s satisfaction guarantee! Not satisfied? We refund!
✓ Happy travelers from over 50 countries
✓ Swedish EcoTourism Association standards
✓ Small, personal groups
✓ Off-the-beaten track adventures
✓ Climate smart and responsible travel
✓ Memories for a lifetime
✓ TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence