Ice Skating Stockholm
Ice Skating in Stockholm
Overcoming your initial nerves, you step on to the ice. A minute or two has passed, and you’re still doing fine. excitement takes over! After the first rusty moves in the chilly morning air you pick it as you go. Before you know it you’re ice skating over frozen lakes or even the sea, both as clear as a window. You can even see fish swimming beneath it! Spending the day on ice skates with the sun shine warming your face and nature all around you is guaranteed to be a day you will never forget. The numerous lakes and stunning scenery, might just make ice skating in Stockholm the best activity that the area has to offer.
- Feel the excitement of spending a full day day on solid ice on one of our beautiful frozen lakes
- Experience breath taking scenery
- Try out ice skating, the Nordic way
- Warm your hands on a campfire during lunch break
- Quality ice skating and safety equipment
- Fun and easy going guides help you feel at ease and enjoy the day to it’s fullest
- Includes pickup and drop off at central Stockholm
- Small and personal groups, averaging 3-6 guests
- Swedish fika
Ice Skating in Stockholm: what to see?
As this is an ice skating trip we follow the best conditions. Many factors influence skating conditions such as temperature, snow level and wind. We will be ice skating either on one of the many local lakes, Mälaren which is connected to the Baltic Sea, or even between the islands in the archipelago. No matter where, we will be in a natural setting and scenery will be breath taking. Ice stretching as far as the horizon, surrounded by taiga forest, or even past granite cliffs towering up from the water. At times we see deer and their tracks crossing the ice, wild boar running besides us on the shore line and several birds of interest.
- Meet each other and your guide at the meeting point
- Introduction to your fellow travelers and talk about the day program
- Gear fitting and explanation
- We drive out away from Stockholm towards the ice
- Gear up, and we set off skating!
- We start by taking it easy and focus on technique
- Picking it up we skate towards the horizon enjoying the scenery and the fresh winter air
- Time for a campfire lunch!
- Eager to get going again, we continue skating
- Arriving back to the van, we gear down and head back into town
- Goodbye’s and enjoy a well deserved evening of relaxation
Ice skate Tour program
This is an example tour. Your guide customizes the day according to the weather and fitness of the group.
Even with mild temperatures in the city, ice is everywhere if you know where to look! On this ice skating trip we will spend the day on the best ice and most beautiful surroundings that Stockholm has to offer while meeting people from around the globe. Whether it be on icy lakes or the frozen Baltic Sea! Ice is a fascinating material and it will change continuously throughout the day. From black, to milky white, to completely see through. On transparent ice one can even get slightly scared of heights, as it is like standing on glass when you can see the bottom of the lake! We will likely be meeting the local ice fishermen on our trip that will be happy to show us their catch of the day. You get to spend the first hour or so mainly working on your technique. Either together your friendly and helpful guide or more individually under his/her safety supervision. After some goofing about around the campfire, we hit the ice again with renewed energy. We will spend the second part of the day skating as a group. There are plenty of spots to have a breather, coffee with cake and just to enjoy the beautiful area around us. After some more ice skating we make way for the van. Satisfied with this new experience, improved skills, new friends and beautiful nature we head back into Stockholm and finish the tour.
Included in the tour
- Pickup and drop off from central Stockholm
- Ice skating teaching by helpful guide
- Campfire lunch
- Swedish fika (hot drink with pastries)
- Equipment (ice skates, skating poles, boots, backpack, headlight if necessary)
- Safety equipment for on ice
- Small group, averaging at 3-6 travelers per guide
- Drybags to keep your items safe and dry
- A friendly and skilled guide
We meet in Southern central Stockholm, just 9 minutes from the tourist center. Address Gullmarsplan 4, 121 40.
Private: With a private tour you will get picked up from your accommodation.
Other important information
- This tour involves physical motion and being in healthy shape is therefore required.
- No prior ice skating experience is required.
- We will be ice skating on natural ice. If according to our judgement an ice skating cannot be conducted safely, however rarely, we reserve the right to carry out a cross country skiing trip instead.
Our skate tour in Stockholm tour has student- and youth discounts. These only apply with:
Student: valid student- and ID cards. Does not apply for PHD students. Max age 25.
Child: valid ID card. Max age 15.
Doesn’t our schedule suit you? Send us a message and we’ll see what we can do!
What to bring on this excursion
Clothing during ice skating: It’s an active excursion so don’t dress too warm, but bring an extra layer for when standing still! It’s best to have clothing that dries up quickly, so avoid cotton if possible! Wool and polyester (often seen in sport specific clothing) are best. Dressing in many layers is recommended over having one thick layer. This provides better insulation and it’s easier to take off one layer when you’re too warm.
- Several pairs of warm socks to optimize boot fitting
- Thermal base layer (i.e. winter running shirt)
- Warm sweater (i.e. (micro) fleece, wool)
- Water resistant wind stopper or shell layer
- Down jacket / winter coat for during breaks
- Gloves / mits
- Either skiing trousers or thermal leggings / jogging trouser with (water resistant) outdoor / sportive trousers over (alternatively jogging trousers under a pair of jeans)
- Waterproof phone container
- Sun glasses
Other tours in Stockholm
Extend your Scandinavian winter experience and book our weekend break instead! More into nature, less into sports? Check out the Snowshoe Hiking instead. If you’d like to spend the day in Stockholm’s skiing tracks have a look at the Cross Country Skiing!
Traveling with us
✓ Traveler’s satisfaction guarantee! Not satisfied? We refund!
✓ Happy travelers from over 50 countries
✓ Swedish EcoTourism Association standards
✓ Small, personal groups
✓ Off-the-beaten track adventures
✓ Climate smart and responsible travel
✓ Memories for a lifetime
✓ TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence