Snowshoe Hiking Stockholm Winter
Snowshoe Winter Hiking Stockholm
The air is dry, the sky is blue and the sun is reflected on the snow when you realize that there is no sound around you at all. Apart from nature there’s nothing but you and your fellow explores together with your guide. Experience Winter Wonderland as from a fairy tail! Spend a day out of the city whilst snowshoeing over frozen lakes, hiking through frozen pine forests and tracking deer or moose in the snow! Snowshoeing and winter hiking are a fantastic way to catch a glimpse of the fantastic nature that Scandinavia has to offer.
- Spend a day hiking in breath taking nature
- Take a selfie at a viewpoint overlooking lakes and taiga forest
- Wonder through winter wonderland
- Feel the excitement of crossing snow covered frozen lakes with ice safety equipment
- Track deer, boar and moose in the fresh snow
- Enjoy varying scenery and nature throughout the day
- Learn about nature and animals from your friendly guide
- Includes pickup and drop off at central Stockholm
- Small and personal groups, averaging 3-6 guests
- Taste Swedish fika around a campfire
Snowshoe hiking Stockholm: what to see?
Environment: We will visit both winter forest and frozen lakes. We will cross lakes using snowshoes providing traction and stability, and ice safety gear. Whilst in the forest we can maneuver around easier by hiking boots, and climb up to cliffs with a view over the area. We will learn some about the geological history of what used to be an old mountain chain. Depending on weather conditions, we will either visit our nature reserves or the archipelago, where we can see island after island in a sea of ice. We will see a variety of taiga forest and deciduous forests, and the environment will be changing constantly. To say the least, a very varying day with beautiful nature.
Wildlife: If we are lucky it will snow during the night and clear up during the day, making it perfect for wildlife tracking as animals leave their prints in the fresh snow. We see tracks all the time, and at times we even see those to whom the tracks belong. In most cases roedeer and moose. Woodpeckers and other birds can be seen frequently, and beaver marks are common to stumble upon as well! We might even go around and spot their dam.
- Meet each other and your guide at the meeting point
- Introduction to your fellow travelers and talk about the day program
- Gear fitting and explanation
- We drive out away from Stockholm and into nature
- Gear up, and we set off on our mini expedition!
- Before long we will feel the excitement of crossing our first frozen lake
- Hiking through the winter forest we stop and enjoy a cozy campfire lunch
- We continue hiking and snowshoeing through ever changing terrain
- Finally we return to the van, we gear down and head back into town
- Goodbye’s and enjoy a well deserved evening of relaxation
Snowshoe Hike day program
This is an example tour. Your guide customizes the day according to the weather and fitness of the group.
Your guide for the day will meet you at the meeting point. After a short explanation about the day’s program we head for the outdoors by minivan where you’ll receive all equipment. In this hiking adventure you will spend the day in the most beautiful nature scenery Stockholm has to offer. After a introduction to snowshoeing and the equipment we quickly start off into the woods. During the hike we make our way through a real winter wonderland. Nature and all life around it seems to have come to a halt. We arrive to a lake, solid frozen. Under instruction of your guide we clip on our snowshoes, set up our safety gear and cross the lake while enjoying the view and the sun that come with being out in the open. Back on land again, we clip our snowshoes back to our packs and climb up a nice viewpoint and take a group photo or two. You’ll see endless forests and maybe in the far distance Stockholm’s skyline! Not too long after, we enjoy a campfire lunch. Wildlife tracks of deer among other animals will be around us, easy to spot because of the snow. You’ll learn about tracking deer, moose, boar and hare. There’s plenty of beaver activity, too! Their presence is easily noticed with all the fallen trees with their teeth marks freshly set. There will be plenty of time and spots for hot coffee and some cake as well. Finishing up the tour we arrive to the starting point, and make way back to the meeting point.
Included in the experience
- Pickup and drop off from central Stockholm
- A nature hike through beautiful scenery
- Learn about animals and tracking
- Campfire lunch
- Swedish fika (hot drink with pastries)
- Equipment (snowshoes, hiking poles, gaiters, backpack, headlight)
- Safety equipment for on ice
- Small group, averaging at 3-6 travelers per guide
- Drybags to keep your items safe and dry
- A friendly and skilled guide
We meet in Southern central Stockholm, just 9 minutes from the tourist center. Address Gullmarsplan 4, 121 40.
Private: With a private tour you will get picked up from your accommodation.
Other important information
- This tour involves physical motion and being in healthy shape is therefore required.
- No prior winter or snowshoe experience is required.
- This is a winter hiking excursion. If the snow level demands the use of snowshoes we will use these. Otherwise we use ice grip cleats under our boots when crossing lakes.
Our winter hiking in Stockholm tour has student- and youth discounts. These only apply with:
Student: valid student- and ID cards. Does not apply for PHD students. Max age 25.
Child: valid ID card. Max age 15.
Doesn’t our schedule suit you? Send us a message and we’ll see what we can do!
What to bring on this excursion
Clothing during snowshoeing: It’s best to have clothing that dries up quickly, so avoid cotton if possible! Wool and polyester (often seen in sport specific clothing) are best. Dressing in many layers is recommended over having one thick layer. This provides better insulation and it’s easier to take off one layer when you’re too warm.
- Hiking boots
- Thermal base layer (i.e. winter running shirt)
- Warm sweater (i.e. fleece, wool)
- Winter coat or down/polyester filled vest and outer shell layer
- Gloves / mits
- Either skiing trousers or thermal leggings / jogging trouser with (water resistant) outdoor / sportive trousers over (alternatively jogging trousers under a pair of jeans)
- Waterproof phone container
- Sun glasses
Other tours in Stockholm
Extend your Scandinavian winter experience and book our weekend break instead! Would you like to try Sweden’s national sport? Check out the Cross Country Skiing instead. If you’d like to spend the day on the frozen lakes or even the frozen Baltic Sea have a look at the Ice Skating!
Traveling with us
✓ Traveler’s satisfaction guarantee! Not satisfied? We refund!
✓ Happy travelers from over 50 countries
✓ Swedish EcoTourism Association standards
✓ Small, personal groups
✓ Off-the-beaten track adventures
✓ Climate smart and responsible travel
✓ Memories for a lifetime
✓ TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence