cross country skiing Stockholm
Cross Country Skiing Stockholm
Imagine moving through the frozen forest on a pair of ski’s with the winter sun shining on your face. Putting one ski before the other, you glide through the snowy tracks in a flowing motion. Apart from your guide it’s just you, the track, your fellow skiers and the winter forest around you. Cross country skiing is as Swedish as it gets, and should not be missed on your active visit to Stockholm!
- Learn or improve your cross country skiing together with your friendly guide – laughing guarantee included!
- See Stockholm’s beautiful taiga winter forests
- Ski over snow covered frozen lakes
- Enjoy a warm campfire lunch
- Chance to see deer while silently gliding through the tracks
- Quality equipment
- Delicious Swedish ‘fika’
- Includes pickup and drop off at central Stockholm, only we do this!
- Small, personal groups
Cross Country Skiing Stockholm: what to see?
In most cases we will mainly be skiing in the magical and beautiful winter forest, and will most likely also spend an hour or two crossing a frozen lake with safety equipment. We are of course bound to snow conditions, so will follow these around so we cannot promise an exact location. If snow levels are not ideal, we will make use of the forest tracks made with snow cannons. Alternatively we carry out a cross country skating trip during which we will spend our day on the ice.
- Meet each other and your guide at the meeting point
- Take some time for an introduction to your fellow travelers and talk about the day program
- Introduction of gear, fitting etc.
- We drive out away from Stockholm and into nature
- Final preparations, and we’re off skiing!
- We start off with easy going practice on a field or on a frozen lake
- We continue by starting a trail into the forest
- Time for a campfire lunch!
- We continue the trail and enjoy the varying winter scenery
- Arriving back to the van, we gear down and head back into town
- Goodbye’s and enjoy a well deserved evening of relaxation
This is a rough day program. Your guide customizes the day according to conditions and fitness of the group.
During this cross country skiing adventure you will glide through beautiful snow covered landscapes with people from all over the world. A real winter wonder land experience! On arrival we start with the basics on how to cross country ski. We try our luck skiing on a frozen lake (which makes it easier to practice, no ups and downs) where we have all room to practice and get used to the technique. The practicing will take about half a day, until lunch. After a campfire lunch and when we feel confident on our skis we set out for the mission of that day: A skiing track through the forest (different lengths, depending on the skill of the group). You will cruise through the tracks while experiencing the beautiful natural scenery Stockholm has to offer. After skiing halfway, we have a break with some coffee, cake and we catch our breaths. With renewed energy we finish the track and tired but satisfied we start heading back to the meeting point and conclude the tour.
Included in the tour
- Pickup and drop off from central Stockholm
- Cross country skiing teaching
- Swedish fika (hot drink with pastries)
- Equipment (ski’s, skiing poles, boots, backpack, headlight if necessary)
- Safety equipment for on ice
- Small group, averaging at 3-6 travelers per guide
- Drybags to keep your items safe and dry
- A friendly and skilled skiing guide
We meet in Southern central Stockholm, just 9 minutes from the tourist center. Address Gullmarsplan 4, 121 40.
Private: With a private tour you will get picked up from your accommodation.
Other important information
- This tour involves physical motion and being in healthy shape is therefore required.
- No prior cross country skiing experience is required.
- We aim to ski on natural snow, but if conditions so require we will make use of forest tracks prepared by snow cannons (entrance fee included in the price). If according to our judgement an ice skating trip will give our guests a better experience due to conditions, we reserve the right to carry out a cross country skating trip instead.
Our cross country skiing Stockholm tour has student- and youth discounts. These only apply with:
Student: valid student- and ID cards. Does not apply for PHD students. Max age 25.
Child: valid ID card. Max age 15.
Doesn’t our schedule suit you? Send us a message and we’ll see what we can do!
What to bring on this excursion
Clothing during skiing: It’s an active excursion so don’t dress too warm, but bring an extra layer for when standing still! It’s best to have clothing that dries up quickly, so avoid cotton if possible. Wool and polyester (often seen in sport specific clothing) are best. Dressing in many layers is recommended over having one thick layer. This provides better insulation and it’s easier to take off one layer when you’re too warm.
- Several pairs of warm socks (to optimize boot fitting)
- Thermal base layer (i.e. winter running shirt)
- Warm sweater (i.e. fleece, wool)
- Water resistant wind stopper or shell layer
- Down jacket / winter coat for during breaks
- Gloves / mits
- Either skiing trousers or thermal leggings / jogging trouser with (water resistant) outdoor / sportive trousers over (alternatively jogging trousers under a pair of jeans)
- Waterproof phone container
- Sun glasses
Other tours in Stockholm
Extend your Scandinavian winter experience and book our weekend break instead! More into nature, less into sports? Check out the Snowshoe Hiking instead. If you’d like to spend the day on the frozen lakes or even the frozen Baltic Sea have a look at the Ice Skating!
Traveling with us
✓ Traveler’s satisfaction guarantee! Not satisfied? We refund!
✓ Happy travelers from over 50 countries
✓ Swedish EcoTourism Association standards
✓ Small, personal groups
✓ Off-the-beaten track adventures
✓ Climate smart and responsible travel
✓ Memories for a lifetime
✓ TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence