Snowshoe Hiking Stockholm Winter
Snowshoe Winter Hiking Stockholm
Duration: ± 7 hours
Difficulty level: medium
When: January – March. Scheduled department at 09:00 on Wednesday. Also bookable on other days from 4 or more people. Traveling
by yourself but not available on Wednesday? Check the calendar if there is another custom departure that week!
For whom: For those that want to experience real Swedish winter and those interested in snowshoeing, nature, scenery, walking over frozen lakes, activities, exploration, orienteering, adventure and the outdoors.
Snowshoeing Stockholm in a nutshell
The air is dry, the sky is blue and the sun is reflected on the snow when you realize that there is no sound around you at all. Apart from nature there’s nothing but you and your fellow explores together with your guide. Experience Winter Wonderland as from a fairy tail! Spend a day out of the city whilst walking over frozen lakes, stepping through frozen pine forests and tracking deer or moose in the snow!
What to see?
Environment: Snow, frozen lakes, forest, cliffs, nature scenery.
Wildlife: Among the mammals, deer and moose are most abundant in the area, and especially their tracks are easily spotted in the snow. Even where they sleep! There are different species of woodpeckers and many other bird species as well.
Snowshoe hike itinerary
- Rendez vous at the meeting point
- Meet and greet
- Information about day’s program
- Drive by minivan out of the city
- Handing out equipment
- Embarking on the tour
- Continuing tour
- Drop off at the meeting point
Included in the tour
- Pickup and drop off from central Stockholm
- A snowshoe hike
- Swedish fika (coffee with pastries)
- Equipment (snowshoes, hiking poles, gaiters, backpack, headlight)
- Safety equipment for on ice
- Small group, max 8 travelers per guide
- Drybags to keep your items safe and dry
- An outdoor guide
Other important information
- This tour involves physical motion and being in healthy shape is therefore required.
- No prior winter or snowshoe experience is required.
- This is a winter hiking excursion. If the snow level demands the use of snowshoes we will use these. Otherwise we use ice grip cleats under our boots.
- Please remember that the weather conditions are out of our control, and there is no snow guarantee. However last winter season (January – March 2015) we’ve only had one excursion without snow!
What to bring on this excursion
Clothing during snowshoeing: It’s best to have clothing that dries up quickly, so avoid cotton if possible! Wool and polyester (often seen in sport specific clothing) are best. Dressing in many layers is recommended over having one thick layer. This provides better insulation and it’s easier to take off one layer when you’re too warm.
- Hiking boots
- Thermal base layer (i.e. winter running shirt)
- Warm sweater (i.e. fleece, wool)
- Winter coat or down/polyester filled vest and outer shell layer
- Gloves / mits
- Either skiing trousers or thermal leggings / jogging trouser with (water resistant) outdoor / sportive trousers over (alternatively jogging trousers under a pair of jeans)
- Waterproof phone container
- Sun glasses
Snowshoe Hike in Stockholm detailed program
This is an example tour. Your guide customizes the day according to the weather and fitness of the group.
Your guide for the day will meet you at the meeting point. After a short explanation about the day’s program we head for the outdoors by minivan where you’ll receive all equipment. In this hiking adventure you will spend the day in the most beautiful nature scenery Stockholm has to offer. After a introduction to snowshoeing and the equipment we quickly start off into the woods. During the hike we make our way through a real winter wonderland. Nature and all life around it seems to have come to a halt. We climb up to viewpoints and hike over frozen lakes. You’ll see endless forests and maybe in the far distance Stockholm’s skyline! We enjoy a campfire lunch. Wildlife tracks of deer among other animals will be around us, easy to spot because of the snow. You’ll learn about tracking deer, moose, boar and hare. There’s plenty of beaver activity, too! Their presence is easily noticed with all the fallen trees with their teeth marks freshly set. There will be plenty of time and spots for hot coffee and some cake as well. Finishing up the tour we arrive to the starting point, and make way back to the meeting point.
This tour usually runs every Wednesday from January up until March, and is also is privately bookable any day during this period. Custom bookings on other days are also shown in the calendar. Note that student and youth discounts are only valid with student and ID cards, and that the student discount does not count for PHD students!
We meet in restaurant Organic Green (the Northern marker), Rehnsgatan 24, 103 92 Stockholm.
Other winter tours in Stockholm
Would you like to try Sweden’s national sport? Check out the Cross Country Skiing instead. If you’d like to spend the day on the frozen lakes or even the frozen Baltic Sea have a look at the Ice Skating!
Scheduled tours and tours on request:
Adult: 1350 SEK
*Student: 1150 SEK
*Child: 950 SEK
Custom tour: Same p.p. price, but minimum amount of guests is 4.
*Note that student and youth discounts are only valid with student and ID cards, and that the student discount does not count for PHD students!
Traveling with us
✓ Traveler’s satisfaction guarantee! Not satisfied? We refund!
✓ Happy travelers from over 50 countries
✓ Swedish EcoTourism Association standards
✓ Small scale and personal off-the-beaten track adventures
✓ Climate smart and responsible travel (read more)
✓ Collect memories, not things!
✓ Satisfied customers with TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence
✓ Adventures made easy, just a click away!