Ice Skating Stockholm
Ice Skating in Stockholm
Duration: ± 7 hours
Difficulty level: medium / sportive
When: January – March. Scheduled department at 09:00 on Monday. Also bookable on other days from 4 or more people. Traveling
by yourself but not available on Monday? Check the calendar to see if there is another custom departure that week!
For whom: For those interested in sports, active holidays, experiencing nature, winter, Swedish culture, ice skating, ice, snow, winter sports, the outdoors, scenery, adventure, or meeting people.
Ice Skating Stockholm in a nutshell
Overcoming your initial nerves, you step on to the ice. A minute or two has passed, and you still didn’t fall through the ice! excitement takes over. After the first rusty moves in the chilly morning air you pick it as you go. Before you know it you’re gliding over frozen lakes or even the sea, both as clear as a window. You can even see fish swimming beneath it! Spending the day on ice skates with the sun shine warming your face and nature all around you is guaranteed to be a day you won’t forget.
Skating Day itinerary
- Rendez vous at the meeting point
- Meet and greet
- Information about day’s program
- Drive by minivan out of the city
- Handing out equipment
- Introduction to ice skating
- More ice skating
- Drop off at the meeting point
Included in the ice skating tour
- Pickup and drop off from central Stockholm
- A skating trip
- Swedish fika (coffee with pastries)
- Equipment (ice skates, skating poles, boots, backpack, headlight)
- Safety equipment for on ice
- Small group, max 8 travelers per guide
- Drybags to keep your items safe and dry
- An outdoor guide
Other important information
- This tour involves physical motion and being in healthy shape is therefore required.
- No prior ice skating experience is required.
- Please remember that the weather conditions are out of our control, and there is no ice guarantee. However last winter season (January – March 2015) we’ve haven’t had one excursion without ice!
- If the ice conditions are not safe a cross country skiing tour will be carried out instead, alternatively a winter hike.
What to bring on this excursion
Clothing during ice skating: It’s an active excursion so don’t dress too warm, but bring an extra layer for when standing still! It’s best to have clothing that dries up quickly, so avoid cotton if possible! Wool and polyester (often seen in sport specific clothing) are best. Dressing in many layers is recommended over having one thick layer. This provides better insulation and it’s easier to take off one layer when you’re too warm.
- Several pairs of warm socks
- Thermal base layer (i.e. winter running shirt)
- Warm sweater (i.e. (micro) fleece, wool)
- Water resistant wind stopper or shell layer
- Winter coat for during breaks
- Gloves / mits
- Either skiing trousers or thermal leggings / jogging trouser with (water resistant) outdoor / sportive trousers over (alternatively jogging trousers under a pair of jeans)
- Waterproof phone container
- Sun glasses
Ice Skate Tour detailed program
This is an example tour. Your guide customizes the day according to the weather and fitness of the group.
Even without snow in the city, ice is everywhere if you know where to look! On this ice skating tour you will spend the day on the best ice and most beautiful surroundings that Stockholm has to offer while meeting people from around the globe. Wether it be on icy lakes or the frozen Baltic Sea! Your guide will pick you up by van and together you will make your way out of the city where you will receive your equipment. Firstly you will get instructions about techniques and the ice skating equipment. You get to spend the first half of the day (until lunch) mainly working on your technique. Either together with the guide or more individually under his safety supervision. Warmed up after a campfire lunch we hit the ice again with renewed energy. We will spend the second part of the day skating as a group. There are plenty of spots to have a breather, coffee with cake and just to enjoy the beautiful area around us. After some more ice skating we make way for the van. Satisfied with this new experience, improved skills, new friends and beautiful nature we head back into Stockholm and finish the tour.
This tour usually runs every Monday from January up until March, and is also is privately bookable any day during this period. Custom bookings on other days are also shown in the calendar. Note that student and youth discounts are only valid with student and ID cards, and that the student discount does not count for PHD students!
We meet inside the restaurant Organic Green (the Northern marker), Rehnsgatan 24, 103 92 Stockholm.
Other winter tours in Stockholm
Scheduled tours and tours on request:
Adult: 1550 SEK
*Student: 1150 SEK
*Child: 950 SEK
Custom tour: Same p.p. price, but minimum amount of guests is 4.
*Note that student and youth discounts are only valid with student and ID cards, and that the student discount does not count for PHD students!
Traveling with us
✓ Traveler’s satisfaction guarantee! Not satisfied? We refund!
✓ Happy travelers from over 50 countries
✓ Swedish EcoTourism Association standards
✓ Small scale and personal off-the-beaten track adventures
✓ Climate smart and responsible travel (read more)
✓ Collect memories, not things!
✓ Satisfied customers with TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence
✓ Adventures made easy, just a click away!