cross country skiing Stockholm
Cross Country Skiing Stockholm
Duration: ± 7 hours
Difficulty level: medium / sportive
When: January – March. Scheduled department at 09:00 on Friday. Also bookable on other days from 4 or more people. Traveling
by yourself but not available on Friday? Check the calendar to see if there is another custom departure that week!
For whom: For those interested in sports, active holidays, trying something new, experiencing real winter, Swedish culture, cross country skiing, snow, Sweden’s national sport, winter sports, the outdoors, scenery, adventure, or meeting people.
Cross Country Skiing Stockholm in a nutshell
Imagine moving through the frozen forest on a pair of ski’s with the winter sun shining on your face. Putting one ski before the other, you glide through the snowy tracks in a flowing motion. Apart from your guide it’s only you, the track and the winter forest around you.
Skiing Excursion itinerary
- Rendez vous at the meeting point
- Meet and greet
- Information about day’s program
- Drive by minivan out of the city
- Handing out equipment
- Introduction to cross country skiing
- Completing a track
- Drop off at the meeting point
Included in the tour
- Pickup and drop off from central Stockholm
- A cross country skiing trip
- Swedish fika (coffee with pastries)
- Equipment (ski’s, skiing poles, boots, backpack, headlight)
- Safety equipment for on ice
- Small group, max 8 travelers per guide
- Drybags to keep your items safe and dry
- An outdoor guide
Other important information
- This tour involves physical motion and being in healthy shape is therefore required.
- No prior cross country skiing experience is required.
- Please remember that the weather conditions are out of our control, and there is no snow guarantee. However last winter season (January – March 2015) we’ve haven’t had one excursion on which we weren’t able to ski!
- If there is not enough snow an ice skating tour will be carried out instead, alternatively a winter hike.
What to bring on this excursion
Clothing during skiing: It’s an active excursion so don’t dress too warm, but bring an extra layer for when standing still! It’s best to have clothing that dries up quickly, so avoid cotton if possible! Wool and polyester (often seen in sport specific clothing) are best. Dressing in many layers is recommended over having one thick layer. This provides better insulation and it’s easier to take off one layer when you’re too warm.
- Several pairs of warm socks
- Thermal base layer (i.e. winter running shirt)
- Warm sweater (i.e. (micro) fleece, wool)
- Water resistant wind stopper or shell layer
- Winter coat for during breaks
- Gloves / mits
- Either skiing trousers or thermal leggings / jogging trouser with (water resistant) outdoor / sportive trousers over (alternatively jogging trousers under a pair of jeans)
- Waterproof phone container
- Sun glasses
Ski Tour detailed program
This is an example tour. Your guide customizes the day according to the weather and fitness of the group.
Even without snow in the city, your guide knows where to go to find it in most cases. He will meet you at the meeting point. After a short explanation about the day’s program we head for Stockholm’s best skiing tracks at that time, where you’ll receive all equipment. During this cross country skiing adventure you will glide through beautiful snow covered landscapes with people from all over the world. A real winter wonder land! On arrival we start with an introduction to the equipment and the basics on how to cross country ski. We try our luck skiing on a frozen lake (which makes it easier to practice, no ups and downs) where we have all room to practice and get used to the technique. The practicing will take about half a day, until lunch. After a campfire lunch and when we feel confident on our skis we set out for the mission of that day: A skiing track through the forest (different lengths, depending on the skill of the group). You will cruise through the tracks while experiencing the beautiful natural scenery Stockholm has to offer. After skiing halfway, we have a break with some coffee, cake and we catch our breaths. With renewed energy we finish the track and tired but satisfied we start heading back to the meeting point and conclude the tour.
This tour usually runs every Friday from January up until March, and is also is privately bookable any day during this period. Custom bookings on other days are also shown in the calendar. Note that student and youth discounts are only valid with student and ID cards, and that the student discount does not count for PHD students!
We meet inside the restaurant Organic Green (the Northern marker), Rehnsgatan 24, 103 92 Stockholm.
Other winter tours in Stockholm
Scheduled tours and tours on request:
Adult: 1550 SEK
*Student: 1150 SEK
*Child: 950 SEK
Custom tour: Same p.p. price, but minimum amount of guests is 4.
*Note that student and youth discounts are only valid with student and ID cards, and that the student discount does not count for PHD students!
Traveling with us
✓ Traveler’s satisfaction guarantee! Not satisfied? We refund!
✓ Happy travelers from over 50 countries
✓ Swedish EcoTourism Association standards
✓ Small scale and personal off-the-beaten track adventures
✓ Climate smart and responsible travel (read more)
✓ Collect memories, not things!
✓ Satisfied customers with TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence
✓ Adventures made easy, just a click away!